Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Power Outage of 2012

Hello friends!
If any of you live around VA, I'm sure you've been affected by or heard about the huge power outage.
In case you haven't, let me tell you about it!
Ok, so Friday night I was sitting in a movie {Magic Mike...it was terrible.  Bad acting, bad chemistry.  The only redeeming factor was seeing Alex Pettyfer and Matt Bomer's...faces.  I can't stand Channing Tatum and hir horrendous "acting" skillz.}
Anyways, when I get out of the movie, everyone is freaking out in the lobby about a tornado and 75 mph winds.
Usually, tornadoes pass over Lynchburg and don't touch down so I never really worry about them.
I started getting a little nervous when a lady walked by on the phone and I overheard, "All of our stuff on the front porch is gone!?"
I called my roommate and she said the winds had slowed down, but there was no power.
Ok, I can deal with no power, I thought.
Two Christmas' ago we lost power and our Christmas dinner consisted of very rare prime rib {which was perfection}, salad and cold french bread.
We lit candles and played Catch Phrase for hours.
It was one of the most memorable Christmas' ever.
Well, losing heat for a night in the middle of an Alaskan winter is A LOT different than losing air conditioning in the middle of a Virginian summer.
Of course, this has been the hottest week of the summer so far.
Last night I slept on top of my covers with a wet wash cloth over my head, then on my stomach, then on my neck...it was miserable.
But in the middle of my complaining I stopped to remember how good I have it.
I and all of my friends are safe.
Several people lost their lives in the storm.
I don't like suffering through this heat for another estimated week.
Some people don't have AC and live in far hotter conditions than I do.
All of my food in the fridge has gone bad.
I just got paid and have plenty of money to buy groceries when the power comes back on.
I have to go all the way to work to charge my iPhone and Mac...seriously?!
I'm not allowed to complain about that.
Haha.
This hasn't been fun by any means, but things can always be worse.
My friend posted on her Facebook this morning, "Two consistent prayers of mine lately: more patience, less materialism.  Who said God doesn't answer prayers in a big way?"
That made me laugh because it's so true!
Luckily for me, my hair air dries nicely with a slight beachy wave in it and no frizz.
Trust me, I've thougth about getting to work an hour early just to do my hair and put my makeup on without beoming a complete ball of sweat, but then I remembered I value my sleep a lot more than how my hair looks.
Tonight I might be seeking shelter at a friends house anyway.
This week should be interesting...
I hope you all have a very happy July 1st and soak up that AC for me!

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you live in VA! I was there this last weekend during all that craziness. Oh my gosh. I've never seen anything like that in my life. My cousin got married on Saturday, and everything was destroyed the night before. It was SO sad. It turned out to be okay, though. Everyone just kept saying "it's about the marriage, not the wedding." I hope your power is back on now!!

    ReplyDelete